Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Six-String Seniors: Students Prove it's Never too late to Rock

Pat Howe of La Plata, MD, had to undergo open skull surgery after having a brain aneurysm. After deciding at a college course would be a little too stressful, the 63-year-old school teacher decided to pick up the guitar, something she had never tried before. Howe said, "[My friends said] 'you got divorced, went to school and got your teaching degree at 50. You'll be a rock start when you're 65.'" Howe attends guitar classes at the Waldorf Senior Center for beginners who have never had the time to learn the instrument. Charlesetta Welsh, another member of the class said, "I've always been excited to learn. It's never too late. I'm 74 going on 75. I wanted to do something I've never done before and it's fun. I'll keep coming; I'm not going to give up."
Read the story here

No comments:

Post a Comment